I wasn’t planning on using the entertainment center. I’d forgotten it existed. I’m not sure it is an entertainment center, as it also has a matching, rather large chest of drawers that goes with it, so it’s got to be for a bedroom. Anyway, I’d planned on building nearly everything inside, and have lots of spare wood and plywood to do so, but honestly, I don’t think my building skills are up to it. Sure, the build itself is solid. I’ve been told many times that I over-engineer things. But my detail work can be…sketchy? Hehe, yeah, sketchy. I believe with practice and some hands-on tutorials from a more experienced builder, I’d be able to put together creditable cabinets and whatnot, but not now. I priced out cabinets and they are rather expensive, and heavy, and the sizes are mostly not right for the space. So, what to do?
Look around here is what to do. I thought about scavenging bits and pieces from this house, but I didn’t want to damage it. Plus there’s still that whole having to “build stuff” thing. As I wandered from room to room, assessing what was available, I stumbled upon this oak wood set. Ah-ha! As it is modular, it seemed a perfect solution. Without further hesitation, I started grabbing parts.
The only thing that took a lot of time was figuring out the placement of the upright attachment boards. They had to be placed just right to set the hooks on the back of the shelves and cabinets properly, as well as being as close to the studs as possible for strength. My spacial skills are apparently not too bad, as no mistakes were made. So attach those boards securely to the walls, hook in the various bits, and done. Well, except that after an experimental drive, several of the shelves fell down! So, back to the hardware store for metal brackets to permanently attach everything. Cheap and effective.
As for the two matching white cabinets I really like and wanted to use, they turned out to be way too heavy to hang. Sadly, I won’t be using the longer one at all (which was going to hold most of my kitchenware), but the squarish one got some legs and a top, and is now firmly screwed to the walls. To build the top, I had to glue and clamp two pinewood panels together and then cut them down to get something large enough. The cabinet is now a good place for heavy cast iron and random largish stuff.
Taking the place of the longer cabinet is a bunch of roll-out closet baskets. Light, strong, semi-attractive… works for me!
The lower kitchen cabinet was the real bear. I couldn’t push it back against the wall, because of the front fuel line sticking out of the floor and wall. Solution? Either build a shelf behind it to cover the huge (8″) gap, or cut a hole in the back/bottom of the cabinet. No more building!!! 😦 So, my son came over and cut a hold for me, as cutting holes into furniture was something I couldn’t bring myself to do. My anxiety over it was ridiculously overwhelming. Even though I’d added strong supports to the underside of the cabinet after bringing it home, I had visions of the whole thing collapsing in on itself.
Yeah, that didn’t happen, and now the cabinet is against the wall and out of the way. Thanks very much, dear boy!
I did, however, cut the counter top to size, and cut out the sink hole, by myself. So easy! I still have the hand pump marine faucet to cut a hole for, but now I’m not worried about being capable of doing that. My new saw blade for finish work has really impressed me.
So that’s the cabinet roundup. I thought it might be interesting for people to get a sort of spacial sense of how I fit into this incredibly tight space. I’m 5’5″, and the ceiling is 7′ high.