I like to paint. It’s easy and fun and colors, whee! Funnily enough, the walls mostly will be covered by closets and cabinets and stuff, but I like knowing there’s something pretty behind all that.
After trying the pink painted high up on the walls, with a pale yellow on the ceiling and upper walls, I discovered I vastly preferred the white over my head. Here’s the before:
White reflects light better and looks clean and fresh. Luckily I still had the Zinsser Oil-based primer to cover the other colors. It took one coat, plus two coats of Glidden Extreme White Semi-Gloss Exterior Paint to cover everything perfectly. Yes, I used exterior paint inside. I also used it on the cedar trim on the exterior, after priming with the Zinnser (which is perfect for cedar), and had a ton left over. Since I’m not living in the space, and since the oil-based primer is also stinky, I figured, why not? There’s time for it to off-gas before I move in, and the color is just what I wanted. I can’t afford to waste paint, or really anything. This is one of the reasons why the structure is a little odd-ball. 🙂
After I tamed the yellow and pink, I started trying for the look I wanted ~ a blend of pink, yellow and tangerines. I have a favorite skirt that I love that is pink and orange, green and reddish, and I want to try those colors in the interior. I have a little pot of grass green for…somewhere. Here’s what I have now:
I like it. Luckily, the area I like the best, the wall under the loft (behind the cab of the truck) will show the most. It’s pretty and not overwhelming. Other than some touch ups, and maybe adding a little red at some point, and of course the moldings, the walls are finished.
Oh yes, the leak. It’s not the roof, although yes, there was a small leak which is now gone due to the new roofing. It might have been present the whole time but hidden by the bigger roof leak. This new leak is actually through the door/skylight itself…it appears that the panes of glass and the wood joints have loosened with all the cutting and hoisting and general messing around (plus the door wasn’t built to be installed flat, of course). But I have a solution! Today I will go out and buy some more razor blades to clean the glass panes, sand off the extra silicone everywhere, and prime and paint the wood portions. Once it’s dry, I will screw on to the face of the door, this stuff:
A glass shop right down the street can provide a thicker product than is available at the big box stores, and will cut it to size, and cost less than buying it and using an expensive saw blade (which I don’t have) to cut it. Plus, they will do it right, lol. Yes, I am farming out some of the work. And glad to do it. And yes, it’s another expense, but a necessary one. I’d always known I might have to go this route, so it’s not a surprise, and I’ve had time to figure out exactly what is needed.
I don’t know if I’ve already shown how the exterior looks now, all painted up and finished, so before I get to work on the skylight, here’s a few more pictures:
So you are all up-to-date. I’m off to buy those razor blades and a saw blade for finish work. Be well!