The last bit of sheathing on the northern side only took four hours to put on. I felt so much relief to have it finished! I think this last bit looks pretty good. Had to sit down and drink a blueberry beer to celebrate.
Look at that sad and lonely little window. It’s the only window on the north side because I’m trying for passive solar, but it is so plain on this side! I’m worried about making the exterior look good.
The floor is now totally ripped up to allow all the pooled up moisture to evaporate. I know what mistake I made ~ I shouldn’t have layered the rigid insulation over the wool. It kept the water that leaked in from the exposed edges from having a way to dry. I should have known to trust the wool ~ after all, it’s ability to drain and dry and stay great is well known.
So it’s all out now, and there is an immense pile of mostly dry, fluffy wool that has taken over Oliver’s Nest. It looks like a herd of sheep exploded in there ~ in fact, there is more insulation than floor now. I think all the fluffing has expanded it greatly. I wonder if I was supposed to fluff if this much before I put it in? That would explain why there didn’t seem to be enough wool left for the rest of the house…I just put way too much into the floor. I’ll have to start stuffing stud spaces where no wiring or plumbing will go to handle the overflow.
I took the day off today to rest my knee again. It was really hurting by the end of the day Thursday, I’m not sure why. It feels better now, here at 1:45 am, so it looks like I’ll be able to get started on hanging the felt paper. I’ve read how-tos online and watched videos, so hopefully this will go smoothly. It is recommended that you have two people work on putting up the wrap so it will be tight and secure, but with my house being so small, it might be OK. We’ll see.