I wasn’t planning on using the entertainment center. I’d forgotten it existed. I’m not sure it is an entertainment center, as it also has a matching, rather large chest of drawers that goes with it, so it’s got to be for a bedroom. Anyway, I’d planned on building nearly everything inside, and have lots of spare wood and plywood to do so, but honestly, I don’t think my building skills are up to it. Sure, the build itself is solid. I’ve been told many times that I over-engineer things. But my detail work can be…sketchy? Hehe, yeah, sketchy. I believe with practice and some hands-on tutorials from a more experienced builder, I’d be able to put together creditable cabinets and whatnot, but not now. I priced out cabinets and they are rather expensive, and heavy, and the sizes are mostly not right for the space. So, what to do?
Look around here is what to do. I thought about scavenging bits and pieces from this house, but I didn’t want to damage it. Plus there’s still that whole having to “build stuff” thing. As I wandered from room to room, assessing what was available, I stumbled upon this oak wood set. Ah-ha! As it is modular, it seemed a perfect solution. Without further hesitation, I started grabbing parts.
The only thing that took a lot of time was figuring out the placement of the upright attachment boards. They had to be placed just right to set the hooks on the back of the shelves and cabinets properly, as well as being as close to the studs as possible for strength. My spacial skills are apparently not too bad, as no mistakes were made. So attach those boards securely to the walls, hook in the various bits, and done. Well, except that after an experimental drive, several of the shelves fell down! So, back to the hardware store for metal brackets to permanently attach everything. Cheap and effective.
Modular oak shelving pieces. See those metal rods sticking out from various bits? They stick into each other and the uprights.
Shelving, cabinets and desk all hook onto uprights before I added the little metal brackets.
I have a desk under the window!🙂 The toilet will go between the desk and the kitchen cabinet. The cabinet in this picture is pulled out and there’s actually quite a bit more room than shows.
Re-purposed solid (even the back is wood!) EXPENSIVEquarter-sawn oak entertainment set from my aunt and uncle. Heavy, yes, but solid and, FREE.
As for the two matching white cabinets I really like and wanted to use, they turned out to be way too heavy to hang. Sadly, I won’t be using the longer one at all (which was going to hold most of my kitchenware), but the squarish one got some legs and a top, and is now firmly screwed to the walls. To build the top, I had to glue and clamp two pinewood panels together and then cut them down to get something large enough. The cabinet is now a good place for heavy cast iron and random largish stuff.
Painted legs to transform the hanging cabinet into a floor cabinet.
Strong wood braces made from random 1/2″ plywood pieces added to the bottom of the white cabinet, and a thing to screw the legs into.
Revamped upper cabinet. Painting the cabinet white, but I might try the tangerine color for fun.🙂 The door is nearly ready to install, and it’s been painted a matching green. I think I’m going to paint the bit of pink on the side wall above the counter top white.
Taking the place of the longer cabinet is a bunch of roll-out closet baskets. Light, strong, semi-attractive… works for me!
Drawer racks installed. The baskets are in the house being filled and sorted.
The lower kitchen cabinet was the real bear. I couldn’t push it back against the wall, because of the front fuel line sticking out of the floor and wall. Solution? Either build a shelf behind it to cover the huge (8″) gap, or cut a hole in the back/bottom of the cabinet. No more building!!!😦 So, my son came over and cut a hold for me, as cutting holes into furniture was something I couldn’t bring myself to do. My anxiety over it was ridiculously overwhelming. Even though I’d added strong supports to the underside of the cabinet after bringing it home, I had visions of the whole thing collapsing in on itself.
Meet Richard from one of the local big box stores where I bought the cabinet. He helped me clamp in the support pieces I added to the bottom of the cabinet. Nice guy, right?
Yeah, that didn’t happen, and now the cabinet is against the wall and out of the way. Thanks very much, dear boy!
I can’t do anything about the metal bars, but was able to work around this fuel line.
See how far the cabinet has to stick out? NOT GOOD. Oh, and in the background you can see the beginnings of insulating and covering the loft front area. OH! And you can see the linoleum all laid down and looking pretty on the loft floor.
I did, however, cut the counter top to size, and cut out the sink hole, by myself. So easy! I still have the hand pump marine faucet to cut a hole for, but now I’m not worried about being capable of doing that. My new saw blade for finish work has really impressed me.
Look at that clean edge from my new finishing saw blade. So proud.
And now the hold for the sink….
BOOM. It still sticks out an inch due to the metal bars, but I can live with that.
So that’s the cabinet roundup. I thought it might be interesting for people to get a sort of spacial sense of how I fit into this incredibly tight space. I’m 5’5″, and the ceiling is 7′ high.
I can easily reach and remove the top drawers to access the contents, but the ceiling doesn’t feel too low. Yep, that’s me in glasses!
And here I’m standing right by the bed loft area. The reflective ceiling really helps to add light. The camera I’ve been using is on my Kindle Fire, and has no flash. All the pictures pretty much reflect the actual light inside. You can also see the baskets I’ve found to store things on the shelves, and the cool closet curtains. I still need to find baskets to fit the upper shelves.